Olathe man runs into burning home to retrieve Xbox

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OLATHE, Kan. -- An Olathe, Kan., man suffered minor smoke inhalation Friday morning after he returned to a burning home to retrieve his Xbox Friday morning, firefighters said.

Firefighters said the fire started around 3 a.m. in the back bedroom of a home in the 800 block of E. Loula St in Olathe.

Two men who lived inside the home heard smoke alarms and were able to get out of the house. One man ran back inside to retrieve his Xbox and suffered minor smoke inhalation. He was treated at the scene.

The house suffered extensive damage.

Firefighters encourage everyone to check their smoke alarms to ensure they're working properly.

Download the fox4kc app to stay informed FOX 4 Android app | FOX 4 iPhone app

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

2 comments

  • S Hillhouse

    Be sure to replace your smoke alarms per manufacturers instructions. We did not know they had to be replaced until last winter when the snowcovered our fireplace vent and the house filled with smoke and the alarms were silent. We checked the alarms regularly and again when they did not alert. All 9 sounded when the button was pushed.

    I researched and found they need to be replaced every 5-6 years, ours were 9 years old.

    Be safe….Replace!!!!