One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nonfat buttermilk
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ c hot strong black coffee
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Line the pan with a circle of wax paper.
- Whisk flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add hot coffee and beat to blend. (The batter will be quite thin.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan, peel off the wax paper and let cool completely.
- Dust the top with confectioner’s sugar before slicing.
Nutrition information per serving – 12 servings: 139 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 26 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 2 g fiber, 212 mg sodium, 60 mg potassium