Author Rachel Ellyn and chef Jasper Mirabile team up for ‘You’re Toast’
Local author Rachel Ellyn and chef Jasper Mirabile stopped by the FOX 4 studio to share more on their co-authored book, ‘You’re Toast,’ as well as a few recipes. They have a book signing and dinner on Thursday evening. (See information below the video):
'You're Toast' Dinner - Chef-driven book signing dinner
Jasper’s Restaurant (1201 W. 103rd St.)
7 p.m. tomorrow
- 2 cups dry, fine breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups parmesan, finely grated
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 2 cups Sunday Sauce (recipe below)
1. In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic and parmesan. Place the beaten eggs in another shallow bowl.
2. Cut chicken breast into 4 pieces, and pound out each piece between two sheets of wax paper. Dip each flattened breast in the eggs first, and then in the breadcrumb mixture.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown on each side, 3-4 minutes per side. Drain the oil.
4. Top each piece of chicken with a mozzarella slice and ½ cup Sunday Sauce. Place the lid on the pan and let the cheese melt, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic cloves, puréed
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomato purée
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
1. In a small pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and remove pot from stove.
2. Add the tomato purée and water; mix thoroughly. (Note: If you do not like canned purée, omit the water and substitute whole tomatoes pureed in a food processor or by hand.)
3. Stir in salt, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds. Cook for 1½ hours over medium heat, stirring continuously.
4. Add the sugar and basil leaves. Continue stirring over medium heat for 30 minutes.