Search continues for mom of little boy found wandering street, new information found

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The mother of a three-year-old child named A.J. who was found wandering alone on Kansas City's northeast side Tuesday morning remained unaccounted for on Wednesday and had not tried to collect her son, according to police. He remains in the custody of the Division of Family Services.

FOX 4's Robert Townsend went to the residence on Wednesday near St. John and White Avenues where the boy was found chasing after a dog, dashing into the street a half a block from his home.

Neighbors said no one had come to the house all day. On Wednesday night FOX 4 discovered new information about a woman named Jessica Scott, a name that neighbors used to refer to A.J's mom and a name that a police source confirmed for FOX 4.

Her name came up in a search of Indiana court records as living at the home in the 100 block of N. White where A.J. walked out the front door. Court documents indicate that Scott entered a guilty plea to a felony charge for attempted robbery on February 14 in Indiana.

She had a sentencing hearing scheduled for March 17, court records don't currently indicate the outcome of that hearing, in fact, records still indicate that a jury trial is scheduled for April 1. FOX 4 will continue to look into those details as authorities continue their search not only for A.J's mom, but also the person who was supposed to be watching him.

Two construction workers saw A.J. outside alone on Tuesday and took him to safety and notified police.

Drew Shippey and his co-worker were replacing water valves in the area and said it looked like the boy was chasing after a dog.

"He came right up talking, Shippey said. "I asked him if it's his dog and he said, 'Yeah' and I asked him where he lived, if he lives around here. And he said, 'Yeah.' And I asked him if his mom was home and he said, 'No. She left.'"

Investigators continued on Wednesday to try to find the boy's mother.  On Tuesday, they were told she was at work, but by Wednesday, she still had not answered police questions about Tuesday's events, and her son remained in the custody of the Division of Family Services.

When police went to the residence on Tuesday looking for the person who was responsible for A.J., the downstairs door was open, and a dog was inside. The upstairs apartment resident came out and spoke to police.

That person reportedly told police that the mother's boyfriend had been asleep inside the house and was supposed to be watching the child.

Meanwhile, another neighbor sat in the backseat of a police car and watched the boy for more than an hour. She doesn't understand why the mom has gone missing.

"He's a really good kid, and the mom's a really good mom," said Meredith Toles. "That scares me because anybody could've kidnapped him, got him by a car. You know I blame the babysitter."

No one had been arrested or charged by Tuesday afternoon and that remained the case into Wednesday.

Watch our initial reports:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s