KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Two local pit-master BBQ teams competed on a competition show for Destination America. It airs this coming weekend, so on Thursday they stopped by to give viewers a special preview.
"Pork Spare Ribs" from Squeal Like A Pig BBQ in Kansas City, Kan.
- 1 - 3 lb rack of St Louis Cut spare ribs
- 1 - 8oz bottle of BBQ Rub
- 1 - 8oz Squeez butter
- 1 - 12oz bottle of BBQ sauce
- 1 - 1lb bag of brown sugar
- 1 - 8oz bottle of honey
- Trim the whole spare ribs down to a St Louis Cut.
- Apply generous amount of Almost Famous Rub.
- Smoke for 2 hours at 275 degrees, adding the squeeze butter to the top of the ribs after the 1st hour.
- Then wrap in foil bone side up with with brown sugar and honey added to the foil.
- Return the foiled ribs back to the smoker at 275 degrees for another 2 hours.
- Remove from smoker and foil.
- Add moderate amount of SLAPsauce to top of ribs and enjoy.
"Chicken Leg Quarters" from Fergolicious BBQ
- 10 lbs of chicken leg quarters
- Olive oil spray
- Favorite dry rub
- Favorite glaze or sauce
- Same brine
- Same injection
- Place chicken leg quarters in brine for about 4 hours.
- Remove from brine, rinse off and inject.
- Spray with olive oil and apply dry rub.
- Let the dry rub sweat out a bit and then place on the smoker either directly on the grill grates or to add moisture, place the chicken meat side down in a foil pan and place some butter or margarine in the pan to increase moisture.
- Smoke for about an 1.5-2 hours at 250-275 degrees using cherry wood or until internal temp reaches 165-170 degrees.
BBQ Pit-Masters will premier on Saturday at 8 p.m. on Discovery.