Working For Blue — Donate now for protective police gear

Woman escapes early morning house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- One woman is safe after her home caught fire Wednesday morning. The woman, identified as Jane Bowles, had to climb out of a top-floor window to escape the flames.

"The firefighters had just got a ladder up and I came down through the bedroom window," she said.

Bowles was asleep at the time and only woke after hearing her neighbor, Greg Houston, yelling her name. When she woke, she said flames were in her bedroom.

The home, located near 41st and Holmes, is one of many 100-year-old homes in the neighborhood. Houston, who has lived across the street from Bowles for 30 years, said homeowners in that area are always concerned about fires due to the age of the homes and the "dry wood."

womanJames Garrett with the Kansas City, Mo., Fire Department said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

"With the fact that they didn't have any working smoke detectors in the home, our firefighters were able to get the victim out," he said. "Couldn't save the dog or the cat, but remarkable that she got out alive."

Garrett said the fire department will give away smoke detectors for free. Call 816.784.9200.

Bowles was not injured in the blaze and is staying with a neighbor for the time being. One firefighter was taken to an area hospital with non-serious injuries.

Watch our earlier report:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s