105-year-old house fire victim speaks out about her experience

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

TONGANOXIE, Kan. -- A family is grateful for an amazing story of rescue from an early morning house fire on Tuesday. The woman saved is 105 years old and recovering in the hospital.

Ann Jarrett has lived in Tonganoxie all of her life. She lost her home, furniture and lots of treasures in the fire, but the 105-year-old survivor is just grateful she’s still here, and is also grateful to the firefighters who saved her life.

RELATED: Nephew credits firefighters with saving 105-year-old aunt from house fire

When asked if she felt her age, Jarrett had this to say:

"Well, no because I don't know what a 105's supposed to feel like,” she said with a laugh.

Sure at 105 years old she's slowed down a little, but after living for more than a century this sweet soul still has her adorable laugh. And relatives say her mind is still sharp as ever.

“I'm feeling pretty good. I'm tired. I'm tired it's been a long time," said Jarrett about her long day on Tuesday.

Jarrett was born on January 21, 1909. She never married and she never had any kids. Relatives say for years Jarrett was a dedicated Sunday school teacher and secretary at First Baptist Church in Tonganoxie.

Jarrett says she loves and lives by the Bible.

“Because it teaches me the way to live, the right way to live,” she said.

When the fire broke out inside Jarrett’s tiny house there was no way she could get out on her own.

"I finally found the door knob, went in this room and I was afraid I was gonna die," she said.

The former church worker did what she's done all her life; she prayed.

"I prayed and asked god to help, somebody help me," she said.

Jarrett's angels of sorts, several firefighters, came running and rescued her, saving her life.

This soft-spoken servant could only remember parts of her favorite scripture at the time of the frightening fire.

"Well the Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want," she recalled.

Jarrett suffered smoke inhalation during the fire, and will remain in the hospital under observation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.