Salsa de Molcajete (Fire Roasted Salsa)
- 2 fresh jalapeño chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Heat an ungreased skillet over medium heat on an open fire if available, and roast the chiles and garlic, turning often until they’re splotchy and brown and soft — this takes about 10 minutes for the chiles, and 15 minutes for the garlic. You may blister the chili directly over the fire on the grill grates to get an even deeper flavor.
- Roughly chop the chiles, discarding the caps, and drop into food processor
- Peel the garlic and scoop the softened cloves into a food processor; pulse until very finely chopped
- Add the tomatoes with their juice to the food processor then pulse until puree is coarse
- Pour into serving dish and stir in cilantro and lime juice, and salt to taste — about 1/2-3/4 teaspoon
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite chips!