Man attacked by group including step-daughter shares story for first time

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- A 70-year-old man was brutally attacked, beaten almost to death in his own home, and is now sharing his story publicly for the first time. The man's own wife and step-daughter were two of the four people now convicted of attempted murder.

Thursday was the last time Dennis Davey would have to go to court. The last two of the four suspects got their sentences handed to them. It's been almost one year since the attack in Davey's Shawnee home. Despite the vicious attack, he still lives in that same home, but says he faces every day with a new appreciation for life. He's all too aware of how close he came to death.

"The trauma surgeon that testified at trial said I was about two blows away from being dead," said Davey.

Davey said he was asleep that night, June 25, 2013, when three attackers burst into his bedroom and tried to tie him up. He escaped into the living room and then into the kitchen, the entire time he was being beaten with a baseball bat. He was told that the kitchen was covered in blood.

"From what people told me it looked like a slaughterhouse in here," he said, showing us his newly remodeled kitchen.

Davey was covered in blood and barely able to see, but escaped outside and he ran to his neighbors for help. Another neighbor told us last year that his dogs were going crazy, so he knew something was wrong.

"I heard Dennis yelling, 'Billy, Billy' and he was beat, unrecognizable," said neighbor Billy Kilgore, "and he said 'they tried to kill me.'"

Davey remembers very little after the attack, except seeing a priest standing over him at the hospital.

"I thought I must be dying and getting last rites," he said.

Police arrested the three attackers: his own step-daughter Nicole Carter and her friends Adam and Whitney Hersh.

"They said Nicole was one of them and it was devastating to hear that," said Davey.

But then a bigger shock, when police arrested his wife. "To have your own wife plan it though... that was devastating," he said.

Dennis said the whole thing was about money. Denise Davey was stealing from him and it came out in court that she was also supplying drugs to her daughter. He says he doesn't know if his step-daughter is remorseful.

"She's sorry she's going to prison," he said.

Davey says Adam Hersh did apologize to him and his family in court Thursday. He believes Whitney Hersh was just a bystander who got caught up in all this. He only has one message for them:

"You guys forgot one thing: the power of God. That's why I'm here today," he said.

But he says it's chilling that he has not seen any remorse in his wife's eyes.

"For the first time in my life, I saw the devil," Davey said, "It was hard to accept, this wasn't the woman I married. I would just like to ask her why you did it. What did I do to you that your love for me turned to hate and you wanted me dead?"

Davey doesn't know if he'll ever get the chance to talk to Denise about that question. Denise Davey was sentenced to 48 years in prison, she won't be eligible for parole until she's in her early 80s.

Nicole Carter and Adam Hersh were sentenced Thursday to 22 and 28 years respectively. The other accomplice, Whitney Hersh, had already been sentenced to six years.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s