KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Chef Jasper uses grass-fed beef from Bill Kurtis' Tallgrass Beef Company to make delicious Tuscan Meat Ragu.
Jasper’s Tuscan Meat Ragu
- 1 lb Tallgrass Beef Company Ground Beef
- 4 - 5 Chopped Vine Ripened Tomatoes, (Center Core Removed)
- 1/2 cup Onion, (Minced)
- 1/2 cup Carrot, (Minced)
- 1 Celery Stalk, (Minced)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1/4 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Sprig Rosemary (Leaves Only)
- Salt & Red Pepper Flakes To Taste
- Place carrot, onion and celery in a large skillet on medium heat and sautè
- in extra virgin olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef, raise the heat, and stir until browned. Splash with
- wine and let evaporate.
- Add the tomatoes. Salt to taste. Lower the heat and let cook for 25-30
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fresh rosemary and red pepper flakes.
Jaspers Notes:This is one of my favorite sauces to serve over pasta of
any shape. It is served in every trattoria in Tuscany. It can be argued
that this is where Italian cooking was born - at the court of the Medici.
The region is home to excellent olive oils, meats and cheeses. I like to
grate fresh grated Pecorino Romano on top of the ragu for an added treat!!