LAWRENCE, Kan. -- A little girl from Lawrence has one impressive lunch date this week with First Lady Michelle Obama.
Eight-year-old Jasmy Mavilla gets to travel to the White House with her mother for a special Kids' State Dinner on Friday after winning a healthy recipe contest.
The First Lady and a panel of judges chose Jasmy's original recipe for "Tangy Veggy Springetty", a mixture of pasta, veggies and shrimp in a lemon sauce, as one of the best homemade healthy dishes.
The competition was tough, as the nationwide contest drew entries from more than 1,500 kids across the nation and only 54 were chosen as winners.
The contest is part of Michelle Obama's Let's Move! initiative and aims to promote healthy eating habits among children.
Entries had to represent each of the food groups, either in one dish or as parts of a lunch meal, including fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins and low-fat dairy foods. Fruits and vegetables had to make up roughly half the plate or recipe.
It was a challenge Jasmy and her mom, Sowjanya Seetala, dominated.
"I'm excited and happy because I never got to go to the White House," Jasmy told FOX 4's Katie Banks. "It's so cool!"
"This is unimaginable for me," added Seetala. "I never thought I would go [to the White House]. It's very exciting."
Jasmy and Seetala will travel to Washington, D.C., on Thursday, with the special luncheon scheduled for Friday. The event will feature a selection of the winning recipes and a visit to the White House Kitchen Garden.
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Fresh lemon Juice (from about 2 lemons)
1 tbsp lemon Zest(from about 2 lemons)(Optional)
1 tbsp minced garlic (2 or 3 garlic cloves)
1/2 tea sp white wine vinegar (Optional)
1 Pound Spaghetti or Angel hair Pasta(Any whole wheat or white pasta works too)
3/4 tea sp salt, plus more to taste
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups Fresh or Frozen Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Peas, beans, corn, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach or any other veggies you like)
1 cup cooked or canned garbanzo beans(any beans you like)(Optional)
20 count shrimp (cooked and divined)
1) Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
2) Remove tiny shreds off the peel of the lemon (lemon zest) and Juice the lemon.
3) Make slit around the shrimp with a knife.
4) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add all the veggies, add the spaghetti and cook until pasta and veggies are tender, about 8 -10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
6) While spaghetti is cooking add olive oil in a separate pan and heat it up.
7) When the oil (or butter) is hot and ready put the minced garlic and shrimp to the pan. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on shrimp and cook about 5 min or until the shrimp is done cooking. Save the shrimp in a separate bowl.
8) Turn off the heat and add lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and enough reserved cooking liquid (1/4 cup at a time), Whisk until the sauce is well mixed.
8) Add the spaghetti to this lemony sauce, and toss with the lemon zest, beans and cooked shrimp. Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste. Season with Grated Parmesan cheese. Viola Tasty Tangy Springy Spaghetty is ready to eat.