People close to man charged with child’s shooting say it was an accident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A 22-year-old Kansas City man who was asked to play the role of peacekeeper is behind bars, charged in Monday's shooting that injured a four-year old boy.

Children's Mercy Hospital says the four-year old boy is in stable condition after a bullet tore through a wall and hit him in the lower back. Friends of the boy's family say the child is doing fine, and say the child knows this was an accident.

Monday morning, the four-year-old was among some kids watching a movie in an apartment bedroom at the Charter Landing Complex, according to police.

Police say the boy had his back to a bathroom wall.  On the other side of that wall, prosecutors say, was 22-year old Delaney Singleton.  According to court documents, Singleton had just been handed a gun by his sister who wanted Singleton to keep it away from her boyfriend. The boyfriend was planning to go to a gun range to blow of some steam, but Singleton's sister later told police she was afraid her boyfriend might do something stupid.

As it turned out, that decision did not keep someone from getting hurt.

"I guess the gun fell out or something like that and the gun went off and the bullet went around," said neighbor and friend, Joran Ray.

Ray said he spoke with Singleton after it happened, and before Singleton was questioned by police...

"This man, the way I looked at him last night before he turned himself in, I never seen the boy all shaken up and everything like that, because he was kinda hurting at the situation," Ray said.

Ray, and other people at the complex Tuesday say it was an accident for which Singleton is now paying the price.

"The boy is a good dude. He's got three girls and another one on the way, you know what I'm saying?" Ray said.

"He felt bad, eating it up on the inside and everything but the baby's okay. He's doing alright and everything," said Armenda Davis, a woman who says she's a friend of the little boy's family.

Prosecutors say Singleton and the man who owned the gun left the scene after the gun went off, but Davis said the boy was taken care of and it's a sad situation for everyone involved.

"He's moving and walking and talking and basically being a normal four-year-old. He's happy. He's just sad, you know, that his uncle went to jail," Davis said.

Prosecutors say Singleton is facing seven years in prison if convicted. He remains in jail on a $50,000 bond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.