OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- Watching a movie, painting toenails, and fighting their way through a pile of debris. What was supposed to be a fun girls' night in for a mother and her nine-year-old daughter turned into a life-changer. Still sporting the new coat of paint on her toes, nine year-old Emma is smiling despite what happened Saturday night.
"My daughter was painting her toenails," said Heather Bolander.
Emma and her mom, Heather, were settled in for a movie and relaxation, when the chimney on the floor above their apartment came crashing down through their ceiling.
"There was just cinderblocks and big chunks of wood and just everything came into our living room. It was so loud, I can't get that out of my head," Bolander said.
She also can't get the fear of losing Emma out of her head.
"All I could think was that she's trapped under there and she's seriously hurt, and you know, there are no words. There are no words for that," Bolander explained.
Somehow the two managed to escape with a few scrapes and Heather with a swollen eye. Even Emma's pet hamster, Phoebe, made it out.
It helps to have her favorite companion when the fear of another tragedy continues to scare Emma.
"She's okay physically, but it's going to be awhile before she's okay and just a kid again," said Bolander.
And it will take awhile for this single mom, Emma, and Phoebe to get back on their feet.
The Red Cross gave Heather and Emma some money to get new clothes, and they're staying with Heather's family. Beyond that, Heather says she literally has to start over. She didn't have renter's insurance. FOX 4 called Georgetown Apartments in Overland Park, where Bolander lived, and they said they have no comment.