Fricase De Pollo
Chicken Fricassee - A savory, full-flavored hearty chicken stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-5 pounds chicken legs and thighs with skin removed
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large green pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 6 cloves of garlic (minced and crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 18-ounce can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and cut in quarters)
- 4 medium carrots (pared and cut in large pieces)
- ½ cup green salad olives
- In a large casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat, warn the oil until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown them in the oil.
- Add onion and green pepper and cook for about 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent and tender.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients then cover. Add more liquid if needed to keep dish from cooking dry.
TIP: You can reduce the fat in this dish by making it the day before and refrigerating it. Much of the fat in the dish will rise to the top and harden when chilled, at which point it can be easily removed with a spoon. The dish may taste better the second day, as the flavors have an opportunity to mingle. You may also want to eliminate the green olives or reduce by half.