Wichita man’s mother fights for her life after contracting Ebola in West Africa

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Nancy WritebolWICHITA, Kan. — The son of a North Carolina-based missionary says his mother is fighting the Ebola virus while in isolation in Liberia.

Jeremy Writebol of Wichita, Kansas, told NBC’s “Today” show that he’s been able to talk with Nancy Writebol as she fights the illness. He says his mother is able to move around the home where she’s in isolation and has been able to get plenty of fluids.

“She’s tired and she’s wary and a bit sad as well,” Writebol said in an interview with KAKE-TV. “I know it’s been hard because she never imagined that this would be something that she would have to deal with.”

Related: Fast facts about Ebola

A statement from Samaritan’s Purse on Wednesday said Writebol and American doctor Kent Brantly, who also contracted the virus, both remain in serious condition. Writebol is a missionary with SIM. Brantly is a doctor from Fort Worth, Texas working for Samaritan’s Purse.

Kent Brantly | Associated Press

Kent Brantly | Associated Press

Brantly, a married father of two, felt a deep calling to work in Liberia and was exhausted after months of treating patients with the deadly disease. Brantly’s mother, Jan Brantly, says her 33-year-old son’s “heart is in Africa.” She says he comes from a long line of physicians and missionaries.

The director of maternal-child health at JPS Health Network where Brantly completed his residency just months before heading to West Africa has been in touch by phone and email.

Dr. David Mcray says Brantly had been working for months when he contracted the disease. Mcray says Brantly has told him he is “terrified” and is praying “fervently” for God to heal him. Brantly suffers fever, headache and abdominal pain in an isolation unit for Ebola patients on the outskirts of Liberia’s capital.

Samaritan’s Purse is making arrangements for nonessential personnel to leave Liberia.

Additionally, Peace Corps volunteers are being removed from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea due to the increasing spread of the virus.

Two volunteers are under isolation outside the U.S. after having contact with a person who later died of Ebola.

A State Department official said the volunteers are not symptomatic and are currently isolated under observation. The official was not authorized to discuss the cases for attribution.

The official declined to say where the volunteers were serving or when they were exposed to the virus.

Ebola ymptoms may appear anywhere from two to 21 days after exposure, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.