Ebola virus claims additional 158 lives in West Africa, WHO says
DAKAR, Senegal — The World Health Organization says the death toll from the worst record outbreak of Ebola has reached 887. That’s an increase of 158 since the global health body released figures just a few days ago.
WHO said in a statement that there now have been more than 1,600 cases of Ebola since the disease emerged in Guinea earlier this year.
The news comes on the same day that Nigeria announced a second confirmed case in Africa’s most populous nation. Nigerian Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said Monday the person confirmed to have Ebola is a doctor who helped treat Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American man who died from Ebola in late July.
Sawyer, who was traveling to Nigeria on business, became ill while aboard a flight and Nigerian authorities immediately took him into isolation. They did not quarantine his fellow passengers, and have insisted that the risk of additional cases was minimal.
Nigeria is the fourth country to report Ebola cases. Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia have also reported deaths caused by Ebola.