Man accused of assaulting grandmother with a rock, binding her with duct tape in park

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- A 22-year-old man has been charged with domestic assault and kidnapping after allegedly luring his grandmother to Rotary Park with the intent to kill her. Court documents say last Saturday Shawn Cunningham bound and gagged the victim with duct tape and struck her in the head with a large rock.

The victim said Cunningham first told her that he stole some of her gold and silver coins and had buried them in the park. She said she drove him to the park to retrieve the coins, and once they were there, he turned violent.

Court documents state she told a detective she was led into the woods near a creek when he tied and gagged her with duct tape. She began to cry and plead with Cunningham to let her go, to which he retorted, "Grandma, you're done!"

She said then he hit her in the head with a large rock and left her in the woods. She managed to free herself from the bindings and drove back home where her husband took her to the hospital. When the detective spoke with her at the hospital he noted she had a large cut on the top of her head and blood covered her face, shirt and jeans. Duct tape was later recovered from the crime scene in the woods.

On Tuesday at about 2 a.m. and Independence officer was sent to a Hy-Vee on S. Noland Road to check on a suicidal person, who was later identified as Cunningham. While there, a probable cause statement describes that Cunningham admitted to the officer what he's accused of doing to his grandmother.

Later Tuesday morning during another police interview Cunningham said he was upset with his grandmother because he says that she constantly nags and blames him for "everything". He then gave a similar admission to a detective that he had previously given to the officer about his involvement in the alleged crime in the woods.

FOX 4's Katie Banks spoke with one of the grandmother's sons who said that Cunningham was neglecting to take needed medication, and had never been violent in the past. He also explained that Cunningham had been living in a group home, but his grandmother requested custody through the courts to take care of him. Family also said the grandmother suffered a concussion, but is expected to recover.

Both of Cunningham's charges are class B felonies, prosecutors requested his bond to be set at $300,000.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.