Local chef Kyle Williams was selected to be a contestant on the Food Networks show Beat Bobby Flay. His episode will be aired on Thursday Sept 11, 2014 on the Food Network. Kyle’s a “homegrown” Kansas City area man who left the Big Apple’s limelight and opportunities to return home to his roots, to enrich KC with his culinary talents! He was also instrumental in the opening of the Power and Light District’s restaurants in 2008. See his segment and recipes below.
Black Garlic Mussels
Yield: 2 servings
2 lbs – black mussels, cleaned
1 bulb – black garlic, mashed cloves
½ cup – Spanish chorizo, sliced
¼ cup – yellow onions, sliced
¼ cup – red bell peppers
¼ cup – cilantro leaves, picked
1 each – jalapeno, de-seeded, minced
1 pinch – crushed red chili flakes
2 cups – Spanish white wine
3 Tbsp – butter, whole, unsalted (may sub olive oil if desired)
1 Tbsp – olive oil
To taste - salt
To taste - pepper
¼ each - lime juice + zest
dash – smoked paprika
2 pc – baguette, toasted
2 Tbsp – chimichurri
1 tsp - cilantro
1 tsp - mint
1 tsp - parsley
1 tsp - thyme
½ each - jalapeno, roasted, re-seeded
2 each - garlic cloves, roasted
To taste - salt
To taste – black pepper
1 tsp - sugar
4-6 Tbsp - olive oil
½ each - lime juice + zest
Chef's suggested Wine Pairing:
Burgans Albariño Rias Raixas 2013
Grape: Albarino – White
Region: Rias Baixas – North West (Atlantic Ocean)
Vintage year: 2013
Note: perfect with seafood
Method of Preparation:
- In large sauté pan, on high heat, add oil, chorizo, & onions sautéing for 2 minutes allowing fat from chorizo to be extracted.
- Add all peppers, black garlic & sauté for 1 minute.
- Add mussels, then deglaze with white wine, ½ the chopped cilantro & season to taste with salt & pepper. Cover with lid and cook mussels until they open.
- While mussels are cooking, puree chimichurri ingredients in food blender until smooth. Season to taste and reserve cold on the side. When ready, smear chimichurri on top of crostini.
- When all mussels are cooked, add butter and limejuice and season to taste again.
- Plate in large bowl with all the liquid.
- Garnish mussels with crostini, cilantro leaves, lime zest, smoked paprika, & sea salt.
- Serve with Spanish Albariño wine & mussel discard bowl.
Facebook: Good Food Good Futures