Pretzels - From Main Slice in Downtown Lee's Summit
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package active dry yeast (¼ ounce)
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil or pam spray
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- Optional- 1 egg yolk beaten
- Combine the warm water with sugar and salt in a stand mixer. Sprinkle in the yeast packet. Allow to sit for a few minutes or until it starts foaming.
- Attach dough hook and gradually add the flour and butter on low till combined.
- Increase speed to medium and knead 4 minutes until dough is smooth and starts to pull away from sides. Remove dough and set aside
- Clean out mixing bowl and lightly grease with vegetable oil.
- Return dough to bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Put the bowl in a warm place for an hour or until it doubles in size
- Preheat oven to 450◦ and racks in the middle of oven
- Lightly oil or pam spray 2 sheet trays
- Stir together 10 cups water and baking soda, and bring to a boil.
- While you are bringing this to a boil, on an unfloured work space cut your dough into equal desired sections, this recipe will make 12 small pretzels.
- Roll out the pieces to about an 18 inch rope working your way from the middle to the outside. Fold this rope in half, twist two pieces together, and press the ends together.
- One by one place each twist in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove each twist with tongs and place on baking sheet
- Lightly brush on egg yolk (optional)
- Sprinkle with kosher salt
- Bake pretzels about 13 minutes or until golden brown
- Allow 5 minutes to cool. Enjoy with your favorite cheese sauce or mustard
Recipe adapted from Kelly Senyei