Dr. Dustin Burleson, an orthodontist in Kansas City, shares alternative cooking ideas for Halloween, featuring “Braces Friendly Recipes." For more information viewers can go to www.mylifemysmile.org.
Caulifower Mac and Cheese
· 1 pound penne pasta
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 1/4 cup flour
· 1 quart milk
· 1 pinch nutmeg
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
· 1⁄3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
· 3/4 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
· 1 cup or so cooked cauliflower, such as from Olive Oil–Roasted Cauliflower (page 48)
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta for 12 minutes,
uncovered, then drain in a colander.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for
about a minute, then stir in the milk and bring to a boil. Keep stirring and when the white sauce is well
mixed, reduce the heat to simmer. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the ricotta cheese. Add the pasta and toss well, then stir in
the Swiss cheese and half of the Cheddar.
4. Scatter the cauliflower in an ovenproof dish and spoon the pasta and cheesy sauce on top. Smooth
the top with a spatula and sprinkle on the remaining Cheddar. Bake for
20–30 minutes, until the cheese is nicely browned.
· 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
· 1 cup sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup milk
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon lemon zest
· 1 pinch cinnamon
· 3 cups blueberries or other berries
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚. Grease the sides and bottom of a small baking dish with 2 tablespoons of
the butter and dust with 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining butter, remaining sugar, and the eggs until light and
fluffy. Add the milk and mix well. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Pour the
berries on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with the batter. Bake for 25–30 minutes,
until the top is nicely browned. Serve warm