Parents of 10 kids lose KCMO home to fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A space heater is to blame for a fire that gutted a Kansas City home.

The fire started in a house in a neighborhood near 114th and Richmond in south Kansas City, and around 1:30 p.m. the KCMO Fire Department says it received a call the residence was fully engulfed in flames.

The home owner told FOX 4 she smelled smoke coming from a first floor bedroom. When she went to check it out, she says the only thing she could do was run out.

A KCMO fire battalion chief says he believes a space heater started the blaze.

While the fire gutted the home, where James Washington and his wife raised their 10 kids, he remained thankful no one was hurt.

“We are not discouraged.  We hate for the mishap, but we are encouraged and looking forward to going on,” said Washington.

The Washington's say their children are helping them salvage what they can.

FOX 4 was also told that all of their 10 children have offered their parents to stay with them until they rebuild.

There’s no word whether the home had working smoke detectors.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.