Thousands come together to pray after tragic death of 15-year-old boy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Kansas City family lays a 15-year-old boy to rest, after he was run over by a car and killed just days ago.

The FBI is now investigating the death as a possible hate crime but Saturday people of all walks of life decided to replace that hate, and filled a room with love and prayer for a teen they say was taken far too soon. Thousands of people showed up for the teenager's funeral.

Khadra Dirir says what she'll miss most about her nephew, Abdisamad Sheikh-Hussein, is his warm presence.

“When he comes to a room, he smiles. His smiles will light up a whole room,” said Dirir. “His light, that was taken away, dimming hundreds of lives.”

Abdisamad was at a Kansas City mosque, leading prayer with his dad on Thursday night. When he walked outside, police say Ahmed Aden, 34, sped down the street and ran him over. Dozens ran outside after they heard the crash.

"It was something like a horror movie. I looked at him like who's that? Is that the same kid that just led us through a prayer?" Ahmed Ahmed recalled.

Police say the crash severed the 15-year-old's legs but witnesses say he was still alive.

"I never thought I would see anything like that. It's going to haunt me for the rest of my life," said Ahmed.

Ahmed started calling for help, when he says the suspect approached him.

"He had a machete in his left and a 40 in his right hand. He looked at me and said he was going to kill me. I thought he was going to kill me," Ahmed said.

Ahmed was relieved when the suspect ran away, as police surrounded him a few blocks up the street.

"He put his machete down and his gun down and he gave up," he said.

People in the Muslim community say the suspect had been threatening them for months.

"About a month ago, he came to the Somali shop and waved a gun in front of a crowd of people," Ahmed said.

They were relieved to see him taken into custody, but for several witnesses that relief quickly turned to horror, watching helplessly as a 15-year-old lost his life.

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing," Ahmed said.

Days later, the teen's father leads a prayer for thousands of people in honor of his son.

"That was very hard for him. Words cannot describe, seeing your son laying there and praying over him," Dirir said.

The teen's dad is the leader of the mosque. People in the Muslim community believe the suspect targeted him for that reason.

"He wanted to take somebody that was very precious and very important to the community," Dirir said.

Words of prayer filled a room for Abdisamad Saturday. Although he is gone, family says his light, will guide them forever.

"Words cannot describe the pain that we are going through. But he's in a better place and one day we will meet him in paradise," said Dirir.

The suspect is now facing several charges including first degree murder and armed criminal action. Prosecutors are requesting a $250,000 bond.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.