Humble hero thinks fast to help family escape house fire in Lee’s Summit

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. -- Before the crack of dawn on Thursday, a cool-headed Lee's Summit boy dashed out of bed and alerted his family to get out of their burning duplex.

Camden Garcia’s cool, quick thinking proved to be lifesaving, and he recounted what happened to FOX 4’s Robert Townsend.

Camden said he suddenly smelled smoke inside his family's home and knew something wasn't right."

"I could breathe it, and then I checked downstairs and there's a fire," he said.

The spunky Pleasant Lee Elementary sixth grader knew he had to save his little sister, six-year-old Kylee.

“I tried to wake her up, and she wouldn't wake up, and I just grabbed her and ran out the door,” he said of the frightening situation. "She wasn't crying, but she was scared. She was like shivering."

The two kids were afraid because flames kept spreading across their duplex on Northeast Independence, and there was also plenty of thick smoke.

"There was a lot of smoke. You couldn't see your hands. I was thinking, if the house was gonna burn down, or if it was just a minor fire. I didn't know," Camden said.

While Camden ran to get his sister outside, he made a stop along the way.

"I ran here and I woke up my grandma up right there," he said.

Within moments, his grandmother called 911 and huddled outside in the cold with her coatless grandkids and her dog, Riley, until firefighters arrived.

"I was holding my breath. It was that bad," Camden said.

Firefighters believe the fire started in the family's garage. Camden's grandmother does have renter's insurance.

“I'm super thankful that no one got hurt. I'm even thankful that the whole house didn't burn down."

The humble hero who was barefooted at the time said he doesn’t think of himself as a hero.

“I believe I just tried my best to get everyone out,” Camden said.