KC kidnapping victim’s ordeal laid out in court documents; man says wife kept him going

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A 67-year-old Kansas City man didn’t give up after being kidnapped by two suspects, and escaped within an inch of his life. Court documents reveal a glimpse into exactly what happened, and how the man got away.

FOX 4’s Megan Brilley spoke with the man over the phone on Wednesday night, and he said it was his wife that kept him going.

Police say Robert Caldwell and another suspect attacked the man in his own driveway at 5:30 a.m. on January 22 last week. Court documents reveal the two men pistol whipped the victim, dragged him into his own car and covered him with a blanket.

That's when the suspects drove down Prospect toward ATMs. Police say the victim didn't remember his PIN number which made the suspects upset. That's when Caldwell pretended to be on the phone with an accomplice, and told the victim they had killed his wife.

The suspects then drove to a McDonald’s on Blue Ridge to get food. While in the drive thru, one of the suspects shoved the barrel of the gun into the 67-year-old’s mouth, breaking his teeth, and threatened to kill him if he moved.

After getting food, the suspects continued east bound at highway speeds. Eventually, the car stopped at a rest stop. The suspects fell asleep and the victim grabbed homemade 45 pound weights from under the seat.

Police say he struck the suspects in the head and tried to escape, but Caldwell caught him. The victim was severely beaten and thrown back in the car where the suspects continued across Interstate 70.

When the car reached the St. Louis area, police say the victim grabbed a gun on the floorboard and pointed it at the suspects. The suspects fled and the victim ran into a nearby neighborhood and called police, not long after the suspects got back in the car and took off.

At some point along the way, the second suspect parted ways and the victim's van was destroyed, but the story doesn't end there.

Police say Caldwell carjacked another vehicle, this time a mail carrier's Jeep and a high-speed chase ensued. Caldwell crashed into a creek in Kentucky. He was arrested after a confrontation with police.

Caldwell is now charged with carjacking, using a firearm during a violent crime and being a felon in possession of a firearm. The FBI is still looking for the second man.

The victim is now safe at home recovering with family and is eager to celebrate his 47th anniversary this week with his wife.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.