Elderly man who used walker trapped and killed in Lansing fire, neighbors say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

LANSING, Kan. -- Firefighters are investigating a fire in a trailer home Thursday afternoon that killed one person.

They responded at about 2:20 p.m. to the fire at 124 N. Main and say flames were blowing out the front window and the door when they arrived.

Neighbors tell FOX 4's Shannon O'Brien that the victim is an elderly man who used a walker.  They also say he had a bench with the walker and would have to sit down on his way to his mailbox.

One of the neighbors said he came home from work and saw smoke billowing out of the mobile home. He tried to go in for the man but the smoke and force of the fire pushed him back and he could not reach his neighbor.

"So I ran over there and I pounded on the door and I could hear the smoke alarm going off," Kerem Kiziltas said. "Well, my next instinct was just to open the door and start hollering for the guy and he never came to the door. I couldn't hear anything, couldn't even see two feet past the doorway because it was so full of smoke."

The fire chief said it appears the fire started at the front of the home. Neighbors told firefighters the man used his gas stove to heat his home.

Lansing fire


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.