OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- A homeowner is safe following an early morning fire.
Around 2:30 a.m. a man and a woman heard their fire alarm going off and called 911, according to fire crews.
Fire crews were then dispatched to the home near 140th and Goodman where they found lots of smoke and a fire near the front door.
Investigators said a cigarette that was put out in a flower-pot near the front door caused the fire.
Firefighters said a working smoking alarm helped wake the family inside the home.
No injuries have been reported according to fire crews on the scene.