Smoke alarms help warn Overland Park homeowner of fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- A homeowner is safe following an early morning fire.

Around 2:30 a.m. a man and a woman heard their fire alarm going off and called 911, according to fire crews.

Fire crews were then dispatched to the home near 140th and Goodman where they found lots of smoke and a fire near the front door.

Investigators said a cigarette that was put out in a flower-pot near the front door caused the fire.

Firefighters said a working smoking alarm helped wake the family inside the home.

No injuries have been reported according to fire crews on the scene.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.