Homeowner safe after house fire in Shawnee

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- Fire crews responded to reports of a house fire in Shawnee, Kan. Friday afternoon.

When crews arrived at the home on 56th Terrace, they found heavy smoke coming from the home.

Fire crews said they weren't sure how the fire started but neighbors said the fire appeared to have started in the attic, because that is where the first fumes of smoke came from.

Neighbors said the home belonged to a woman named Margaret and her husband. Her husband was at work and she had a friend over at the time of the fire.

"She stated she heard some noise, some crackling," fire cheif John Maddox said. "She went to investigate. She found the fire, and immediately left the house, called 911, same time we were receiving 911 calls from the neighbors."

Neighbors said they helped make sure everyone got out of the home safely because a few pets were left inside, but everyone eventually made it out of the home safely.

"There were two at the time, and they ran back in to try to get the cats, and we convinced them to not go back in," Jason Burns, a neighbor said.

The fire chief said the fire caused extensive water and smoke damage to the home.

Shawnee House fire

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.