Police release photos of box where Sandra Sutton lived for nearly 4 months

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEDALIA, Mo. -- Sedalia police released photos of the box where 46-year-old Sandra Sutton claimed she was held captive for nearly four months before she and her 17-year-old son were shot and killed last Thursday.

According to the probable cause document, police found sleeping bags, reading material, flash lights and a bucket full of urine and feces inside the wooden box where Sandra said she lived. The box was described 100 inches long, 48″ wide and 52″ tall. The box had been sound-proofed but contained a small hole for air. It was found near the southwest bedroom where Sandra escaped from.

On April 30 Sandra escaped from her home in Sedalia where the box was located. She fled to a neighbor's home and called 911. Sandra told police that James Horn Jr. had been holding her captive since January. According to prosecutors the relationship between Sandra and Horn began as consensual but eventually turned controlling. Sandra told police she was not allowed to leave.  According to the probable cause statement, Sandra told police that she was never reported missing because Horn took her phone and occasionally sent messages to her family to prevent any suspicion of problems. Neighbors said they never reported any suspicious activity either because they would see the couple outside together on occasion.

Shortly after Sandra's escape, Horn was charged with kidnapping, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon in connection to the case but remained at large until May 23. Then on May 23, police tracked him down in a rural Pettis County home. Horn was shot and killed by police as they tried to arrest him. Police said they opened fire when Horn threatened them with a gun, but the case is still under investigation.

Horn was the main suspect in the shooting death of Sandra and her son Zachary. Just three weeks after Sandra's escape, Horn allegedly tracked down Sandra and her son Zachary at a home in Clinton, Mo. and allegedly shot and killed the two on May 21. According to police, Sandra's brother, who owned the home arrived home from work just after 4 a.m. and found the two shot to death and called police.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the Sutton family. Click here for more information.