Boy, 3, killed in shooting at KC house
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A preschool boy was killed by gunfire when someone shot at the house he was in at 67th and Walrond on Sunday morning.
According to Tye Grant with the Kansas City, Mo. Police Dept, shortly after 10:00 a.m officers were dispatched to the area on reports of a shooting. Upon arrival they discovered a house on that corner had been shot into and that a child on the inside had been struck. The little boy was confirmed dead at the scene. There were also other children in the house at the time. They were not injured nor were any other occupants of the house.
The FOX 4 news team on the scene reported seeing shell casings in the street. Police said the shots came from the street, but could not yet determine whether they were from a vehicle or not. There were conflicting reports on a suspect vehicle, so police did not release that information.
The scene was being processed for evidence by responding detectives and officers. Police did not have suspect information to release. Anyone with information which may assist in this investigation is urged to call the TIPS hotline at 816-474-TIPS.
Mayor Sly James also arrived on the scene. In January, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters-Baker held a news conference to urge people to come forward if they knew anything that could help find and prosecute the people responsible for the recent violence, in which children were innocent victims. Click here for that story.
In January, Peters-Baker released a statement that said, in part:
What follows is just a partial list of the many recent cases in which child have become victims of violence or neglect:
- Friday, January 16: a 2-year old child is shot inside his south KC home
- Sunday, January 11: 7-year old seriously injured after being struck by gunfire on I-70
- Sunday, January 11: 14-year-old Alexis Kane, was found dead outside a South KC Water Park.
- Friday, January 9: 2-year-old Lorenzo Estrada was beaten and died of his injuries on January 10.
- Thursday, January 8: 7-month-old, J.S., was discovered with burns from injuries occurring earlier in December.
- Wednesday, January 7: 3-year-old T.D. shot inside her KCMO home at 38th and Chestnut.
- Sunday, January 4: 7-month-old Jaquail Mansaw killed inside a KCK home.
- Friday, December 26: 4-year-old boy was struck by gunfire as his home on Hardesty was fired upon.
- Friday, December 12: 2-year-old K.G.K., from Independence, sustained burns.
- Sunday, October 26: 10-year-old Machole Stewart killed inside a KCK home.
- Friday, October 17: 6-year-old Angel Hooper killed outside a South KC gas station.
In addition, we remember 10-year-old Kavyea Curry who was paralyzed from a shooting that also killed his father on Friday, April 19, 2014.
A 5-year-old was also in the car. And we remember Damiah White, just 3, who was found murdered in her home during on Friday, August 23, 2013. Her and her mother’s murder remains unsolved. We await your call. There is no statute of limitations on murder.
-Jean Peters Baker, Jackson County Prosecutor