KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Blogger Ericka Chatman revealed some of her favorite grocery store secrets that will help save cash with the kids home from school this summer.
- Butchers will make special cuts for you
- Shop for meat the day after a sale ends between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. There will usually be marked down meat and coupons on the meat for 50 percent off or money off coupons.
- The deli can also slice meats for you (for example buy a ham, they can slice it into lunch meat).
- If you buy a block of cheese, the deli can slice it for you.
- Buy cheese from the dairy area vs. the deli counter. A lot of the times the same products are stocked in both places but are cheaper pre-packaged.
- Utilize dietitians: Store such as Hy-Vee (all of them), Cosentino's, and Hen House all have dietitians who provide nutritional counseling, store tours, healthy choice alternatives, store demonstrations and more.