KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- As the days heat up so does the kitchen. This slow cooker baked beans recipe is a great solution to that problem because you'll have your side dish for dinner done without ever breaking a sweat.
1 lb. dried navy beans
1 lb. bacon (cooked)
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1/3 cup brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
1 cup hot water
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Prepare beans using the quick soak or overnight soak method. Follow instructions on bean package. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook mixture on low 10 -12 hours.
Quick Soak Method:
- Sort dry bean and discard any debris or stones.
- Place sorted beans in a colander and rinse.
- Pour rinsed beans in a large pot. Add 6-8 cups water – beans should be covered with 1-2 inches of water.
- Bring water to a boil. Boil beans for one minute. Remove pot from heat and cover.
- Soak beans in covered pot for one hour.
- Drain and rinse.
- Beans are ready for your favorite recipe.