KCMO police investigate second fatal stabbing at same address in past 2 months

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Police are investigating the second fatal stabbing to occur within the past two months at a metro apartment building.

According to court documents, around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday officers were dispatched to 115 NW Harlem Road, where a separate fatal stabbing incident occurred back in May, on an unknown medical related call. Once police arrived at the scene, they located 32-year-old Jermaine Collins, of Kansas City, Missouri, who was lying unresponsive on his back, in a grassy area north of the apartment complex, being treated by Kansas City Fire Department’s Emergency Medical Services. He was then transported to a local hospital, where he later died.

Tia Townsel

Tia Townsel

Officers then arrested Tia D. Townsel, 33, of Kansas City, Missouri, at the scene of the incident and booked her on second degree murder and armed criminal action charges.

The probable cause statement from police said a witness at the scene told officers that Townsel and Collins were involved in a physical and verbal altercation over a pair of shoes. Two other witnesses said a woman, later identified as Townsel, approached Collins outside the apartment building as he was attempting to leave during the altercation and stabbed him. Townsel was taken into police custody without incident, and reportedly had a cut on her hand.

According to the police statement, Townsel denied stabbing the victim and also any involvement of a knife. Instead she said that Collins was attacked by “five or six black females” while in the parking lot. Police said Townsel said she noticed the cut after she was fighting off two of the supposed female attackers.

Back in May, another fatal stabbing incident occurred inside one of the units at the same address back in May between another woman and her boyfriend. To read more on that incident, CLICK HERE.

On Wednesday, FOX 4's Robert Townsend talked with residents at the complex to get their reactions on the recent events.

Brandy Morris has lived at the apartment complex for eight months. She says after the two deadly stabbings and other incidents, now more than ever she's concerned about her safety.

"There's people always yelling, screaming around here. They're always up in my balcony, yelling in front of my window,” said Morris, who says she would like to see more security measures being taken. "I'm here most of the time by myself and no I don't feel safe."

But, the property manager says they do have several security cameras around the complex and seven days a week they work with Kansas City police to keep this place safe. Nonetheless, Morris says she has had enough.

"I’m trying to get out of here, yes,” said Morris.

Bond for Townsel is set at $250,000. Her arraignment is scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday in Division Six of Clay County Circuit Court.

Anyone who has any additional information on this incident is asked to please call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (8477).

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.