Child advocates warn of dangers associated with laundry detergent pods

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Each week, hundreds of kids across the nation get hurt by laundry detergent pods.

The outer shells of the pods are designed to dissolve in water and make doing laundry easier, but the function makes them hazardous to children.

Because the pods come in different colors they can easily be mistaken as candy. Then due to the pods' ability to easily dissolve, many young kids have gotten sick when they put them in their mouth. Besides swallowing it, some kids get the chemicals in their eyes and can experience severe eye burns, temporary vision loss or pass out.

Manufacturers like Proctor and Gamble, which makes Tide, have made major changes to the labeling of laundry pods to help educate parents on the dangers associated with the product.

Experts say parents should keep the pods in their original containers and keep them locked up.

According to new numbers just released by Safe Kids Worldwide, Poison Control receives around 30 calls a day about a child ingesting a laundry detergent pod.


Through April of this year, Poison Control has received more than 3,700 calls  and in the past three and a half years more than 33,000 children have needed medical attention because of injuries related to laundry pods.

If you have a child under the age of five, child advocates recommend that you don’t even use pods but rather traditional detergent.
And if your child does ingest it, wash their face, hands and mouth, and then call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.