KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Summer is full of barbecues and other events so why not try one of these new recipes to wow guests at the next party you go to. Barbecue Champion and co-author of “America’s Best BBQ” Paul Kirk and BBQ Pitmasters competitor and co-owner of Kansas City’s own Squeal Like a Pig BBQ Joe Pearce stopped by FOX 4 to reveal some of their favorite slow cooker recipes.
Pitmaster pot roast sliders
Makes: 12-16 sliders
Prep time: 15 minutes (includes assembling sandwiches)
Cook time: 8 hours
1 3-6 pound chuck roast
1 pack Au Jus powder (1 ounce)
1 package Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
1 stick butter
1 (16 ounce) jar banana peppers, with liquid
Pretzel slider buns
1 bottle bbq sauce (21 ounces)
- Place the chuck roast in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add Au Jus powder, ranch seasoning, butter and banana peppers. Cover the pot and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Drain half of the liquid from the slow cooker. Use tongs to shred the meat. Add half the bottle of the barbecue sauce to the meat and stir to combine.
- Spoon pulled pot roast onto slider buns and top with a few banana peppers. Serve with remaining sauce alongside, if desired.
Saucy Apple Thighs
Makes: 8 stuffed chicken thighs
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
2 tablespoons raisins, soaked for 15 minutes and chopped
1 small firm apple, peeled, cored and minced
1½ cups dried packaged stuffing mix
1 tablespoon barbecue rub or seasoning
8 boneless chicken thighs (skinless if desired)
3 cups bbq sauce, divided
1 stick butter
- In a medium bowl combine the raisins, apple and stuffing mix and stir well to combine. Sprinkle the rub over the stuffing mix and stir again. Place about ¼ cup stuffing mix into the center of each chicken thigh and fold over to close in the stuffing. Secure the ends with toothpicks.
- Spread the bottom of a bowl of a slow cooker with 1½ cups of the sauce. Place the thighs, with the toothpicks on the bottom, into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining sauce with the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted and blended. Set aside.
- At 2 hours check the internal temperature of the thighs and glaze with the sauce. Cover and cook until the internal temperature is 180ºF, another 1-2 hours. Glaze every 20 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce.