Gas leak causes KCMO home to catch fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A gas leak caused a home to catch on fire early Thursday morning.

According to Kansas City Fire department officials, the fire, which was at home near 36th and Bellaire had been burning for a couple of hours before someone called it in. When crews arrived, they realized the fire was coming from a leaky gas pipe.

Instead of putting out the flames and possibly causing an explosion, fire crews let it burn and put water on the nearby trees to make sure the fire didn't spread.

As of 7 a.m. Missouri Gas and Energy had capped the pipe and the fire was out.

The home, which is near the stadiums, is vacant and no injuries have been reported.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.