Stay Weather Aware: Wednesday morning commute looks tricky

Grandview salon owner leans on tight-knit community as she looks to rebuild after fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

GRANDVIEW, Mo. -- Wednesday was heartbreaking as people returned to find out what was left after a deadly fire on Monday. The building that caught fire houses four businesses on the first level, and six apartments above.

Eight people made it out safely, but one man died in the fire. The damage to the building was so bad, it's deemed uninhabitable, a total loss. The people who lived upstairs are scattered among family members and hotel rooms, and people whose businesses are destroyed trying to figure out what to do next.

"I wanted to drop roots here because I believed in this area and it's the hardest thing I have ever had to see,” said Alexis Roades, owner of Nevaeh Salon.

When Roades arrived to her hair salon on Monday morning, she was greeted by firetrucks, and her business up in flames. She owns one of four businesses that occupied the building at the corner of Main Street and Grandview Road.

"This is my dream since I was a little girl," she said.

Roades showed FOX 4 around what is left of her salon.

"It breaks your heart, especially when you are a self-made person who has grown this from nothing to something," she said.

What she had built operated for the last three years.

"My number one thought was about my tribe, my team that works here for me, and just feeding their families and what was I gonna do,” Roades said. "I didn't care about the material stuff; I can replace all of this."

Roades says she will find placement for her staff to continue working while she rebuilds.

"Because believe me. We will be back and better than ever," she affirmed.

She explained to FOX 4 that the area is up and coming. During her three years, Roades saw new businesses transform that section of Grandview, forming a tight-knit community, which she is now leaning on.

"Everybody was coming out to console each other and be there for each other, and that made me feel even better about wanting to be here and staying here,” she said.

The biggest loss of the fire was a longtime tenant who lived upstairs for 16 years. Although police have not released his identity, those who knew him say he was a nice, quiet man.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.