Man helps evacuate neighbors after fire breaks out in kitchen

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – Firefighters extinguished a Monday night blaze that started in a unit on the first level of the Club at Indian Creek Apartments in the 11400 block of Conser.

Nobody was hurt, but about dozen or so people were forced out of the apartment building that housed six units.

It was unknown on Monday night if the building is a loss or not. Neighbors say a man in the building told them he burned chicken and the fire started. They said that man knocked on everybody's door and made sure they got out safely.

“It's kinda crazy. I was at home enjoying my evening and as soon as I opened the door, black smoke rolled in so I knew I had to start thinking about what I had to do,” resident Chuck Moran told FOX 4.

The apartment complex is working to relocate the displaced residents.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.