Kansans working in KCMO could be eligible for tax refund

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Taxpayers living in Kansas but working across the state line could be eligible for a tax refund for the one percent they pay to Kansas City.

Kansas City imposes a one percent earnings tax on all income earned in Kansas City, which includes non-residents.

"First of all you have to be a Kansas resident working in Kansas City, Mo.," Michael Slack with H&R Block said. "If you are, you essentially get a refund of those taxes to the extent of your Kansas liability."

Because of a Supreme Court decision, thousands of Kansans working in the city may be eligible for a refund. For those taxpayers, this means it could affect not only this year's taxes but all the way back to 2012.

Taxpayers can now file amended returns and possibly get refunds for 2012, 2013, and 2014.

That means as many as 100,000 Kansans could collect refunds totaling $72 million.

The earnings tax refund is separate from the credit Kansans received from taxes paid to the state of Missouri.

All metro area H&R Block offices will offer free help to customers Wednesday.

If you have questions contact H&R Block.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.