Man charged in fatal Grandview hit and run admitted to drinking before crash, thought he hit a deer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRANDVIEW, Mo. -- A 41-year-old Grandview man turned himself into police on Wednesday, saying he had driven an SUV being investigated in a hit and run crash that left 38-year-old Scott Morris dead. Ray Jordan currently faces charges for leaving the scene of an accident and driving while suspended, stemming from the crash that happened on an outer road of Interstate 49.

Scott Morris was killed in a hit and run accident on December 27 in Grandview.

Scott Morris was killed in a hit and run accident on December 27 in Grandview.

Morris was walking when he was struck just before 2 a.m on Sunday. Emergency responders took him to Research Medical Center where he eventually died from his injuries.

According to a probable cause statement, Jordan told police he was driving north near a Holiday Inn Express when thought he hit a deer. He said after he checked the SUV for damage, he looked back towards the crash scene and didn't see anything in the roadway. He later had the SUV towed to a body shop.

He initially told police that he hadn't had anything to drink before driving, then said he had two beers, and later said he actually had five beers before the crash. He said he lied because he had a prior DWI conviction and didn't want another. He also said he left the scene of the accident because his license was suspended.

An investigating officer examined the SUV at the body shop and noted damage to the passenger front end side that was consistent with hitting a pedestrian, and found pieces of human hair in the damaged windshield. Also, a headlight lens recovered from the crash scene matched damage to the SUV.

According to court documents, the investigating officer requested prosecutors charge Jordan with involuntary manslaughter, citing reckless behavior that included his admitted alcohol consumption and decision to drive despite knowing his license was suspended. A news release from the prosecutor's office states that as the investigation continues, more charges may be filed.

Jordan's bond has been set at $100,000. Should he post bond, he'll face special conditions that prohibit him from driving.