KCPD officer recovering from near-fatal motorcycle accident hits medical milestone

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Kansas City police officer is awake and talking for the first time since a motorcycle crash in early December nearly claimed his life.

KCPD Officer Nate Harrison, 34, was in critical condition after wrecking his motorcycle Dec. 10 on I-435 near the Triangle. A police crash report said he ran off the road, hit a sign and a pole, and then was in a ditch for several hours before a passing driver, Cody Beecher, saw him.

“He was in pretty dire straits when they found him on the side of the road, and so it was a miracle to find him still alive,” said Steven Doss, a family friend and pastor at Harrison’s church.

Harrison, who is a former marine, husband of 13 years and father of three little boys, was in critical condition. Friends said his future was uncertain as he’s fought for his life at Research Medical Center in South Kansas City for the past five weeks.

But on Wednesday, Harrison hit a medical milestone – waking up from a medically-induced coma and for the first time began talking with family and friends.

“It`s huge!” Doss said. “You know, because you’ve got to think five weeks ago, we`re just praying for God to spare his life, and now to see God having him wake up and talk, it`s pretty incredible!”

Doss said Harrison recognized his loved ones and was answering questions, but did not remember his motorcycle crash.

He called Harrison’s progress is a blessing, especially to Harrison’s wife and children.

“It’s been neat to watch them come in and love on their dad,” Doss said, “and say they’re praying for him and talking with him. It’s going to be a neat day when they get to come in and Dad today talks back to them, so that will be a powerful moment to be a part of.”

It's a future for Harrison’s family that’s never looked brighter.

“We have so much to be thankful for,” Doss said. “We`re praying for complete healing. We believe that God can do that.”

A GoFundMe page set up for Harrison has raised more than $23,000 in just one month.

Although Nate’s wife, Jessica, politely declined an interview with FOX 4 on Wednesday, she wants to thank the community with this statement:

“Through this journey in the last five weeks, we have watched day after day as miracles that only God can perform happen. So many people have prayed for my husband and today, we get to witness yet another miracle.

Nate is awake and talking and we are praising God for doing what only HE can do.

Thank you to Cody Beecher for listening to God and stopping to help my husband. Thank you to our care team for the countless hours they’ve spent giving my husband outstanding care. Thank you to our family, friends, KCPD and KCFD family, church family, hospital staff and so many people that we’ve never even met.

Your outpouring of love, support, and most of all your prayers are what have carried us through. Please continue to pray as our journey continues…and for that, we are so thankful.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.