KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- On cold days soup is a great option for a meal. Heather Page with Healthy Decadence shared a recipe for bone broth and shared how to top it off to make a nutritious meal.
Chicken Bone Broth
2 pounds (about 2-3 carcasses) bones from roasted organic chickens
2 tablespoons Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp unrefined sea salt (I use Real Salt Brand)
1 tbsp peppercorns
1 onion, quartered
2 carrots, rough chopped
2 stalks of celery, rough chopped
2 cloves garlic
1.Place first seven ingredients in large stock pot and add water to cover (about 3-4 quarts - adjust for amount of bones).
2.Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to simmer. Remove any foam/impurities from surface of broth (throw this part away) and then add lid. May need to skim top again so check after an hour.
3.Simmer for up to 24 hours (depending on consistency you prefer 5-6 hours for a thinner broth, more for a gelatin broth), checking every hour or so. In last hour, add garlic to broth and continue simmer.
4.Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pour through a mesh strainer. When cooled, place covered in refrigerator. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen. If broth is simmered for 24 hours, may have a gelled appearance from the collagen. Will become liquid when heated.
NOTE: You can add the carrots, onion and celery later in the cooking process or omit for a clearer broth.
Grain or Gluten Free Ramen Bowls
6 c. chicken bone broth
3 cups cooked chicken, thinly sliced and warmed
2 T. soy sauce or 1/4 c. coconut aminos (more to taste, if needed)
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/4 t dulse flakes (optional)
3 medium zucchini, spiralized
3/4 c. button or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 bag kelp noodles or rice noodles (optional)
2 small heads bok choy, cut into 2’ strips
2 carrots, thinly sliced into coins or juilenned
Shishito peppers, thinly sliced into coins
Green onion, sliced
Soft or Hard boiled egg
Hot sauce - sriracha, etc.
1. FOR RICE OR KELP NOODLES: In a separate pan, bring salted water to a boil. Add rice or kelp noodles and cook according to package directions, then remove from heat and drain and set aside. FOR ZUCCHINI NOODLES: In a separate pan, bring salted water to a boil. Add zucchini noodles and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
2. Bring bone broth to a boil in a stock pot and add mushrooms, soy sauce (or coconut aminos) and fish sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Place noodles of choice in bowls and pour in broth.
4. Add warmed chicken slices, bok choy and carrots.
5. Garnish with your favorite toppings - scallions, eggs, etc. Serve immediately.
8. 4-6 servings.