No injuries in Shawnee house fire thanks to smoke alarm

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- Smoke detectors alerted a Shawnee woman about a fire on the second floor of her home on Monday. Corey Sands, the Shawnee Fire Marshall, is calling it proof of the importance of having working smoke detectors.

The home owner said she was in her basement when she heard the alarms in her home at West 76th Terrace and Richards Drive. She said she's so thankful for the early warning because she had no idea her house was on fire.

"We're finding more and more fires that we go to, the battery's been taken out of the smoke alarms or they're not even up anymore, so this really does show an example of the importance of smoke alarms" Sands said.

The fire marshall said he doesn't know how the fire started or how much the damage will cost the home owner, but the good news is that no one was hurt in the blaze.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.