Space heater causes KCMO home to catch on fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A house fire forced a Kansas City, Mo., couple and their dog out into the cold early Wednesday morning

The fire broke out at home near 23rd and Lawndale just before 2 a.m.

Fire investigators say a space heater  caused the fire, but it is not clear if the space heater was knocked over or had a malfunction.

According to the Nation Fire Safe Association, half of all home space heating fires occur during December, January and February.

No one was injured during the fire.

Fire investigators have not yet released the extent of damage caused to the home.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.