Local gym back in action in just 48 hours after fire damaged their building

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A local gym hasn't let the fire that damaged their space stop their workouts.

"In about 48 hours, we had 35 people help us, and in two hours we had the whole gym moved and set up in here," owner Sean Van Horn said.

Freight House Fitness workouts are continuing three blocks from the usual spot in the West Bottoms.

That building went up in flames last week after a fire started on the second floor.

"Thursday we had a 9 a.m. boot camp class, and then I left, and my trainer had a client she was training, and smoke started coming through the vents around 10:15 in the morning," Van Horn recalled. "A lady had a pet turtle and the blanket was on the heat lamp and it caused the fire."

Luckily everyone got out safely.

"All I could think of was what are we going to do for our people, and how we were going to provide classes for them," Van Horn said.

Van Horn and his wife, Kendra, were immediately thinking of how they could keep their business going.

"We just had classes outside for a day on Friday, and then Saturday morning we were in this space," Van Horn said about their current spot on the fifth floor of a six story building still in the West Bottoms

"I thought it was awesome that it was up and going the next day, and all of us really need this structure in our lives. Missing a workout, or days of workouts kind of throws everyone off," said Megan Hasty, who comes seven days a week.

Hasty said she was shocked.

"I felt really bad , because I know that Sean and Kendra worked really hard to get the gym up and going, it was like their baby, and now it was gone," Hasty said.

She was one of 35 people helping the gym move locations.

"We just were like beside ourselves by how amazing it was to see everyone show up and giving up their Thursday night and their Friday to help us," Van Horn said.

"We're a community, and we all help each other, and it's kind a of place where I spend a lot of time, so I wanted to help in any way I could," Hasty explained.

Thanks to everyone that helped, they didn't let a fire burn out their spirits.

"It's not about a space, but it's about the people. It's about the community," Van Horn said.

They'll be using the space on 1101 Mulberry Street for now, and are hoping to find a permanent space in the West Bottoms.

Van Horn said the support from the community has been amazing.

Many clients helped them move, his buddy had a moving truck, and the landlord of their temporary spot was gracious enough to help them get back on their feet.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.