Jury begins deliberating fate of two men accused in attempted murder of WyCo deputy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A Wyandotte County jury began deliberating the fate of two men charged with trying to kill a sheriff's deputy on Thursday.

Ten charges against Cecil Meggerson, and 11 against Dyron King include aggravated robbery and attempted first degree murder of Wyandotte County Sheriff`s Deputy Scott Wood on March 4, 2015.

About a week of testimony wrapped up on Thursday, and now the jury has the case to decide if the suspects are guilty or not. There are over 600 pieces of evidence that were presented during trial.

During the closing arguments, the strongest prosecution evidence against King were several pieces of clothing, boots, and two guns believed to have been used in the crimes, which were found in King`s bedroom.

The prosecution linked King to the crimes because of blood from a robbery victim on his boots, and Deputy Wood`s blood on one of the guns.

His defense attorney argued that although evidence was found in King`s home, his fingerprints are not on the gun, and the boots with his DNA also had the DNA of three other people on them.

A search of Meggerson`s home on March 6 turned up no evidence, however, prosecutors say during a jailhouse phone call on march 5, Meggerson is heard telling his girlfriend to get rid of stuff.

Prosecutors say Meggerson`s DNA was found on gloves believed to have been used in the crimes.

A picture an expert witness says was taken during the time of the robbery spree shows Meggerson in the same clothes seen in the robbery video, and he was holding liquor believed to have been stolen during a robbery.

Meggerson`s attorney James Spies says there is no direct evidence connecting his client to these crimes. As the jury deliberates this case, they must consider both defendants separately, and it is possible the outcome for them could be different.

The prosecutor declined to comment after the trial. The jury is expected to continue deliberations on Friday. Deputy Wood recovered from being shot seven times and did testify during this trial.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.