Recall issued for heaters sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond for fire hazard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
bed

KUL fan heaters, sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond stores nationwide has been recalled by the manufacturer’s U.S. distributor due to a fire hazard.

As the Kansas City area deals with a recent string of fires, local fire departments are stressing the importance of safety in the home. Along with maintaining working smoke alarms and having an escape plan in case of an emergency, another important factor is being mindful of possible causes.

Electrical problems are a common culprit, as are household fixtures that keep an open flame such as candles and fireplaces. But one of the most frequent igniters of house fires is the space heater.

CE North America issued a recall for about 28,000 KUL fan heaters on Feb. 4. The heaters were sold exclusively at Bed, Bath and Beyond nationwide, starting in August 2015.

The heaters can overheat, causing a major fire hazard. The company has four confirmed reports of overheating and catching fire. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

The heaters were made in China and sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond stores for about $20.

The National Fire Protection Association said in a report that space heaters are responsible for 79 percent of all fatal house heating fires in the U.S.

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled fan heaters and contact CE North America for instructions on getting a full refund. If you have one of these heaters, contact CE North America at 844-645-3208.