Be ‘Weather Aware’: Temperatures will quickly drop creating slick spots on roads

Group honors murdered KCK man by trying to steer youth away from violence

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- The death of a peer has a group answering the call to be positive leaders in their community. They’re doing it by trying to keep a younger generation from lives of crimes.

De’Andre Goodson had been a trainee in the KCK chapter of YouthBuild, pursing a better life for himself, when he was shot and killed in December 2015. The murder happened near 4th and Washington.

“He was a very hard worker. Funny, fun to be around. One of those people you know you’re making an impact in their lives,” said Justin Mossman, KCK YouthBuild executive director.

“He was really funny. He was outgoing. Talked a lot, like me,” said A’lexus Henderson, YouthBuild trainee.

“He was a great guy. A father, and a great teammate,” said YouthBuild trainee Charles Jones.

Prosecutors charged 21-year old Keyaun Lee with second degree murder in Goodson’s death.

YouthBuild’s executive director says Goodson was just realizing his potential when he died.

“He definitely wanted better for himself. He wanted to get his GED. Get into the construction trade, and he wasn’t able to do that,” said Mossman.

Goodson’s former YouthBuild peers are now using his death to try and save other children and teenagers. They initiated the Goodson Leadership Fund, which started as a way to help his family pay for funeral expenses, and has blossomed into a tutoring program for youth ages 10-13.

“If we can impact the younger generation because they are the future, then we can make a difference,” said Jones.

“We just basically came together and said we were tired of all the things that were going on, and how could we help?” said Henderson.

YouthBuild hopes to take the tutoring program nationwide in the future, but for right now it starts at home. Keyaun Lee, the man charged in Goodson’s death, is expected back in court April.