RAYTOWN, Mo. -- The investigation into the apartment fire on Sunday, Feb. 7, that claimed the lives of a 4-year-old Raytown boy and his 59-year-old grandmother determined that the blaze started from a trash can.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) said they believe the fire began in a trash can in the first floor laundry room. They specified that they have found nothing to indicate that the fire was intentionally set.
Three Raytown firefighters became trapped in the building near 60th Street and Raytown Road while they tried to put out the fire and save residents of the Somerset Village apartment complex.
FOX 4's Shannon O'Brien spoke to one of them, who recounted their fight to save the family as the flames registered 800 degrees.
"We were met by heavy smoke, because it was zero visibility, and we heard cries for help and a crying baby," said Capt. Andrew Finkelstein, Raytown Fire Protection District.'
Watch her full conversation with Capt. Finkelstein in the video player above.
Click here for more on the fire victims.