Man pleads guilty to fatal stabbings of Johnson Co. stepson and stepfather

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LENEXA, Kan. — The man accused of brutally murdering a stepfather and stepson in Lenexa in the summer of 2014 pleaded guilty on Friday to stabbing them to death during a burglary.

Alex Brune, 28

Alex Brune, 28

Alex Brune, 28, pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree felony murder for the deaths of Brian Baskind, 47, and Clifford Preston, 79.

The two men were found dead inside their home in Lenexa on July 9, 2014. They were stabbed multiple times and apparently died as a result of the significant blood loss and trauma.

It was a  Wednesday night, shortly before 10 p.m., when police received a call from a man who had been shot in the stomach, but said he was unsure of his location. Police pinged his phone and determined he was in the 8500 block of Hallet Street in Lenexa.

When police arrived, they located Brune on the front porch, shot in the right side of the stomach, and telling them two people were dead inside the home at 8536 Hallet. Police found Baskind and Preston in the basement, in the back bedroom. Both suffered and died from multiple knife wounds and they had numerous defensive wounds, police say.  There were large amounts of blood on the walls and floor. Officers saw that a basement window was open and there was a lot of blood around it on the floor and walls.

Cliff Preston, 79, was found dead in Lenexa on Wednesday, July 9.

Cliff Preston, 79, was found dead in Lenexa on Wednesday, July 9.

Brian Baskind, Photo Credit: Facebook

Brian Baskind, Photo Credit: Facebook

Through the course of the police investigation, police looked at surveillance video from area businesses and determined Brune’s white van and Baskind’s Mercedes were in the same location near Candlelight Lane and 87th Street at approximately 9:08 p.m. that night.

Then, at 9:10 p.m., a neighbor reported seeing a white van parked south of the address where the murders occurred.

At one point, Brune had claimed he was kidnapped by two man, one younger and one older. Instead, police say he went to their home to rob them, attacked them, and then was shot by one of the men during the attack.

With his admission of guilt, Brune faces on each count, life in prison with no parole for 25 years. Sentencing is scheduled for May 18. Brune’s trial was set to start on Monday.

Additional coverage:

Data pix.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.