JOHNSON COUNTY, Kan. -- Volunteers were at Johnson County Republican Party headquarters Monday getting a refresher course on caucuses and how votes will be transmitted to state offices Saturday.
Republican caucuses kick off at 10 a.m. and go until 2 p.m. Saturday. You have to already be a registered Republican to vote.
Unlike election day, supporters, including any voter, can campaign for any of the candidates inside the caucus room, up until the time voters cast their private ballots.
Republicans in Johnson County have expanded their locations from seven to nine this election cycle, expecting a lot of interest in who gets the nomination.
“Sometimes the nominee is pretty straightforward by the time the nomination rolls around but I think this time everything is up in the air and we are all going to wait and see what happens tomorrow,” Teresa Segraves, Johnson County Republican Party Chairman, said.
Johnson County Republican voters can cast ballots at
- Shawnee Mission East High School
- Shawnee Mission West High School
- Shawnee Mission South High School
- Benninghoven Elementaty School
- Prarie Trail Middle School
- Olathe South High School
- Grace Church
- Bentwood Elementary School
- Trail Ridge Middle School.
You can only vote at one site.
On the Democratic side, caucusing begins at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. You can register the day of the caucuses starting at 1 p.m, as long as you are in line by 3 p.m.
There aren’t any ballots, voters simply separate into groups of the candidate they support and then are counted. To be counted groups must make up 15% of the crowd, or find another group. That shouldn't be too difficult with Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders expected to get the lionshare of Democratic support.
Local Democratic Caucuses include:
- KCKCC Technical Center
- Oak Ridge Missionary Baptist Church
- Turner High School
- Roeland Park Dome
- Blue Valley Northwest High School- Activity Center
- Mission Trail Middle School
- Monticello Trails Middle School
- Blue Valley North High School
- Shawnee Mission Universalist Unitarian Church
- JCCC Gymnasium
- Spring Hill Middle School South